By Jim Thomas (Photo taken and uploaded by me, Jim Thomas.) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons
About 85% of women are wearing the wrong size bra. That number is astonishing to me, but the reasons make some sense. A woman's bra size will change throughout her life just like jeans size. Different styles may fit differently and require different sizes.
Why does it matter? Besides looking bad wearing the wrong bra size can hurt your back and shoulders.
How do you know if your bra doesn't fit right?
- The double boob look: You know what I mean. Your bra cuts into you so you have a boob bulge above the cup.
- Back boobs: Your band doesn't fit right so it cuts into you and creates a bulge on your back above the band making it look like you have boobs on your back.
- Saggy boobs: You're either wearing the wrong style or your band isn't tight enough and is sliding up your back allowing the weight of your boobs to pull the front of your bra down.
- Red dents on your shoulders: If your bra doesn't fit right the weight of your boobs is carried on your shoulders. Not only is this uncomfortable, it can also cause more serious posture problems.
How do you know when a bra does fit right?
- Get measured by a professional
- Try on bras before you buy
- The front middle of the bra should fit against your chest.
- The cups should not wrinkle or cause spillage. If it wrinkles go down a cup size, if it creates a bulge go up a cup size. If the underwire cuts into you the cup size is likely too small too.
- Your band size should fit tight, but not cut in to you. It should not slide at all when you move your arms. And should fit straight across your back below your shoulder blades.
- If all of these parts fit right the bra should not cut into your shoulders, but if you have large breasts the wider the straps the more comfortable they will be.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that for larger breasts full coverage bras will usually be more comfortable.