This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Deep Purple's landmark Machine Head record.
In recognition of the influence of the band, and of Machine Head in particular, some of rock's biggest names have each contributed a version of their favorite song on the record to create Re-Machined-A Tribute To Deep Purple’s Machine Head.
The album features specially recorded tracks from Jimmy Barnes and Joe Bonamassa, Black Label Society, Chickenfoot, former Deep Purple Mk III member Glenn Hughes with Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, the “supergroup” Kings Of Chaos (featuring Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum), Metallica, Carlos Santana with Jacoby Shaddix and Steve Vai.
There are two wildly differing versions of the album’s most famous track Smoke On The Water, one from guitar hero Carlos Santana with vocals by Jacoby Shaddix and one from alternative rockers Flaming Lips. Metallica have contributed their own special take on When A Blind Man Cries, a track recorded at the Machine Head sessions but originally released as the B-side to Never Before.
Iron Maiden’s Space Truckin’ cover was actually recorded back in 2006. Lead singer Bruce Dickinson explains, “Initially we didn’t think we’d be able to contribute anything due to our touring commitments. Then we remembered Space Truckin’ which we’d recorded as a single B-side during our A Matter Of Life And Death record session, but never used. However now, thanks to Kevin Shirley’s remixing skills, we’re able to include it on Re-Machined.”
Initially released as a limited edition Classic Rock“fanpack” on September 3rd, this is a truly unique release that will appeal to music fans everywhere.
1) Smoke On The Water – Carlos Santana & Jacoby Shaddix
2) Highway Star – Chickenfoot
3) Maybe I’m A Leo – Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith
4) Pictures Of Home – Black Label Society
5) Never Before – Kings Of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum)
6) Smoke On The Water – The Flaming Lips
7) Lazy – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8) Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
9) When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10) Highway Star – Glenn Hughes/Steve Vai/Chad Smith